Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Deep Thought Tuesday

Today a large portion of my day was spent deep in thought. Most of which Al Smith, a fellow RD, is to thank for. Don't know why it is, but whenever Al and I hang out we always end up in these conversations that cause us to reflect on all sorts of things, whether it's our current state of development, the trials and tribulations experienced throughout one's life, the amount of responsibility we assume within our profession as student affairs professionals, or lessons learned through the outdoors. Whatever the topic, I always walk away with so much more to think about.

Something that stuck out today from our conversation was how we receive mental release. And by that I mean finding an outlet that allows us to free our minds from the burdens we constantly are bombarded with in our day-to-day lives. I feel like for the past few months I have been carrying around mental burdens that are no longer necessary for me to bear. And normally, I would partake in certain activities to help alleviate such burdens but today I finally recognized that those things have been missing in my life. Therefore, the mental burdens are still an ever present thing.

I say it's about time that changed. My goal for this semester is to allow myself the space and time to resume activities that I know help me relax, process and reestablish a healthier mental outlook. Specifically, I am hoping to play some more piano. My supervisor conveniently had a keyboard in her apartment that now resides in my bedroom. Since it has been 8 years since I have read sheet music, Chop Sticks will probably be the extent of my musical ability. But nonetheless, I am playing piano once again. I hope to start running some more as well. The following quote is something I really believe to be true in regards to the benefits of a good workout.

"I said it not long before that work and weakness are comforters. But sweat is the kindest creature of the three - for better than philosophy- as a cure for ill thoughts." C.S. Lewis

Therefore; running is added to the list of things to do this semester. Add in some time to journal and do some extra curricular reading and I think I just may make it out of my first year as a grad student relatively sane. So to Al, thanks again for being a catalyst to a day spent in thought. I look forward to our next reflective conversation!

1 comment: