Saturday, November 20, 2010

I'm There Too

The song "I'm there too" by Michelle Featherstone has been something of an anthem to me for the last few weeks. It's one of those songs that as soon as it comes on, it makes you catch your breath and it gives you chills. I have been thinking a lot about the lyrics and what it means to be there for someone. In my life I have so many people who have come alongside me and have gone through life with me. And in return, they let me do life with them, which to me, is a huge honor. It's something of a comfort to know that you can turn to them on your worst day and in your worst moments and they'll be there, but that they can also come to you on their worst days and worst moments. But what I have found to be difficult is to have people in your life that you so desperately want to do life with. You want to be there in every single good time as well as the bad. But for some reason, they don't want to share life with you. Even worse, they don't want to share life with anyone. And that breaks my heart. And I guess I understand the mentality behind it all because I've tried to do life all on my own. But I couldn't do it.

There is something that happens when you become vulnerable and you let someone else in. And yes, it's scary as heck to have someone there seeing all your deepest darkest secrets and seeing the "you" you have been so afraid to show. And then they stay there with you and love you through all of it. And that's when you realize that you no longer want to do life on your own. And that having someone there who will stick by you through the good and the bad is the most special gift you could ever receive.

So to everyone who lets me live life with them and lives life with me...thank you.

Lyrics to "I'm There Too"

I see myself in you
In everything you do
And when you’re all alone at night
You know I am by your side
Cuz I’m there too

I see me in your eyes
And I’m the tears you cry
And when you fall apart
And are dying from a broken heart
I’m there too

I see your footsteps in the sand
As you journey on across this land
But if you should fall on your way
Then I will carry you that day
Cuz I’m there
I’m there too
Yeah I’m there too

I see your face in mine
And I know there’ll come a time
When you will take my hand
And I will understand
That you’re there too
When you will take my hand
And I will understand
That you’re there
You’re there too

1 comment:

  1. This song came at time in my life when I could truly understand it, 9 years later. I agree with your thoughts. This is most sacred in a marriage and the challenge to find true intimacy and vulnerability. It is an honor indeed.

    ReplyDelete