Thursday, October 21, 2010

Fall in Boone

I had a feeling that when I moved down to Boone, NC that there would be times when I would find myself awestruck by the beauty around me. One such moment...Autumn! Last week, two of my friends, Emily and Eric, and I went up on the Blue Ridge Parkway to do some hiking at Rough Ridge. I had been up to Rough Ridge prior to this trip, but I was up there at night. Which, I must admit, was amazing! It was a great night with a great view and some great company. But this would be my first time taking on Rough Ridge during the day...let alone with some of the most amazing fall colors I have ever seen. When climbing up to the first overlook area, I was constantly wondering how I ever made it up those rocks at night, with flip flops, with a cell phone as my light, right after it rained and somehow survived. The trip up this time had some interesting entertainment. A family of four was doing some hiking too. The oldest child was a boy probably around the age of 5. At first, I thought he was a cool kid who wasn't afraid of anything. His excitement and curiosity was endearing Well, by the end of the hike, he became the topic of conversation between Emily, Eric and I and I would be lying if I said we all didn't entertain some thought of holding the kid off the edge of the cliff. Don't worry, we didn't act upon such thoughts...(unfortunately!). No, I'm kidding.
Something else we found hilarious...or maybe a little bit humiliating, was all the elderly couples we saw on the hike and how we felt we were way more winded than they were! Thankfully I was able to keep some of my pride intact as we didn't get lapped by any of them. All in all, it was a great time up on the Parkway. If this isn't the best marketing tool Appalachian State has to attract incoming students, I don't know what is. But I wanted to show you all some pictures so you can share in the beauty I have around me each and every day! If you get a chance, take a trip here in the fall. You won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment