Sunday, February 20, 2011

One Year Ago

At this time in life I look back to where I was a year ago. Mainly because this upcoming weekend is GAPP (Graduate Assistant Preview Program or something like that) weekend here at ASU. I remember sitting at my desk at YouthWorks and getting the e-mail saying that I was invited to come to GAPP weekend and interview for different assistantships. With a sudden celebration held in the good ole' Service Center-knowing us it was probably a dance party...probably just Derksy and me - it was on to the next step of moving towards the goal of grad school. $800 later and two tickets were booked for my mom and I to take a trip to some random place called Boone, North Carolina. I was so excited! The dream was inching closer and closer to becoming a reality.

Then I got to Boone and for a period of 36 hours I was dead set on NOT going to ASU. We drove up throw Blowing Rock in a freaking blizzard, the town reminded me of all the small towns in MN that still have a Pamida (a store a step below K-Mart. Yes, there is such a thing). However, confession time, I saw they had a Jimmy Johns and a 2-story Wendy's and for a moment thought I may be able to survive in a town like this...but only for a moment. Upon entering our empty apartment in Mountaineer Hall my mother and I looked at each other and we both agreed that ASU was not a school I would be attending. GAPP then became a weekend of practice interviews for me. Only problem was that after spending a couple days on campus, I actually started to like the school. And then from like it soon turned to loving the school! Mom and I got some ASU gear and left Boone secretly hoping that I would be able to call that tiny little town home one day. Then came the wait-list and the call from the Assistant Director about my shortcomings in communication and I was ready to wash my hands of ASU completely. But of course the day after that came the call offering me the position. And now I reflect on all that has taken place from "Yes, I accept the position." until now.

Many things have changed since then and I have learned so much about myself and others throughout the process. All the ups and downs now seem to me as minor speed bumps that are bound to occur along the way. I also find myself eagerly awaiting to be looking back on today after yet another year. I'm ready to see how this unpredictable and crazy year is shaping me and making me a better and stronger person. I'm ready to see these things that currently appear to me as immovable mountains seem more like innocent mole hills that were more of a nuisance than anything else. I'm ready to see what things stay the same and to look back on the things that, without my control, changed so quickly for the better. What a true and major understatement it is to say "a lot can happen in a year". And this is something I am really hoping for. Can't wait for next year.

3 comments:

  1. Jacki V! I had no idea you had a blog! I think about you from time to time and wonder how life is down in NC - now I can keep track! :) Sending you well wishes from the state that never stops snowing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. K Smith! So good to hear from you! I miss YWs very much and think of you all often. Take care, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know we be dancin'!

    ReplyDelete